Click here to skip to main content.
 
Ref No IE TCD MS 11535
Title The Cuala Press Business Archives
Creation Dates 1902-1986
Extent And Medium 79 Boxes, 10 outsize items
Level Of Description Collection
Admin Biographical History The Cuala Press began in 1902 as the Dun Emer Press and the Yeats' Sisters, Elizabeth Corbet (Lolly) Yeats (1868-1940) and Susan Mary (Lily) Yeats (1886-1949) were founding members along with Evelyn Gleeson (1855-1944). In 1908 the Yeats' Sisters split from Evelyn Gleeson and the Dun Emer Press and they founded the Cuala Press in Churchtown, Co. Dublin. In the 1930s the Press moved to 133 Baggot Street, where they could showcase and sell their books, prints, cards, and embroideries directly to the public. Elizabeth Corbet Yeats died on the 16th January 1940 but the press continued in Palmerstown Road by Georgie Hyde-Lees (1892-1968), wife of W.B Yeats (1865-1939) along with two of Elizabeth Yeats long-time assistants, Esther 'Essie' Ryan (1889-1961) and Maire 'Mollie' Gill (1891-1977) with F.R Higgins (1896-1941) as editor until Georgie Hyde-Lees died in 1968.
In 1969, the press was taken up by W. B. Yeats' children, Michael (1921-2007) and Anne Yeats (1919-2001), with Liam Miller (1924-1987). The Cuala Press ceased operation in 1986 when Anne and Michael Yeats presented the remaining archive and printing equipment to TCD Library. The material was transferred in October of that year, the archive being housed in the Department of Early Printed Books and Special Collections and the printing equipment in Trinity Closet Press. A subsequent accession was made in 2011. The collection (apart from the printing equipment) was transferred to the Manuscripts & Archives Research Library in June 2016.
Scope And Content The papers of the Cuala Press Business Archives include administration and financial papers relating to the establishment and administration of the Cuala Press 1908-1986. The Collection also includes correspondence from Elizabeth Corbet Yeats, financial and business correspondence and correspondence concerning printing and publishing. The collection also includes a significant number of Prints and Cards, designed and sold by the press along with several designs for embroidery as well as various collected materials, photographs and photographs. Several additions were made to the Archive and these are listed as subsequent additions.
Arrangement The Business Archive was initially catalogued in 'Cuala Press archive 1902-1986 : a general descriptive listing' after its accession and the funding provided by the donor of the Cuala Press Prints allows for the material to be archivally arranged and catalogued. The numbers from the original accession have been maintained and are recorded under former reference number. There were several subsequent accessions of material into the Cuala Press Business Archive and the provenance of this has been maintained, they will have their own sub series within the main arrangement. Within the original accession of material from 1986 there is no discernable original order and thus will be arranged in series titled Administration, Financial, Correspondence, ‘Books, Prints and Cards, and other illustrated output, Embroidery, Leabhar Dun Emer, Photographs and Subsequent Additions.
Copyright Please contact mscripts@tcd.ie
Language English
Related Material Cuala Press archive 1902-1986:a general descriptive listing. IE TCD MS 4366: The papers of John Millington Synge: literary papers: 1871-1909. IE TCD MS 11505: Cuala Press correspondence with C. Harmsworth: 1888; 1904; 1922-1940. IE TCD MS 11567: Cuala Press (1946-1969) Prints: 1979-1981. IE TCD MS 11574 The Cuala Press Print Collection. Other collections are also held by the National Gallery of Ireland and the National Library of Ireland and several repositories nationally and internationally.
Powered by CalmView© 2008-2010